Jeep Overlanding Basics. If you love going off-road with your Jeep and you love camping, it’s time to take things to the next level with Overlanding. After all, one of the best things about owning a Jeep is the ability to travel just about anywhere! It may not be ideal if you’re new to the lifestyle but with some experience, you can overland for days, weeks, and even months.
What is Overlanding?
When you take your Jeep Overlanding, there is no real destination. The goal is to become reliant on your vehicle for transportation and the gear you pack for shelter. Everything you need should be available within your Jeep and you should use the journey to learn about the nature around you. You should be equipped to tackle all types of weather and terrain and face any challenges that come your way.
How Can I Get Started Overlanding?
Before you grab the gear and mod out your Jeep, you need to get into the right mindset. If you’re someone who appreciates hot showers and gourmet restaurant meals every day, Overlanding might not be for you. When you’re out in the wilderness for days or even weeks, you’ll need to “rough it” and problem-solve on the fly. Overlanding is hard work, but it’s truly rewarding for those who are prepared for anything that comes their way.
How do I Equip my Jeep for Overlanding?
While it may seem like outfitting your Jeep for Overlanding can be costly, you may already have what you need to get started. That said, knowing how to operate your vehicle in all types of terrain is far more important than any gear you add to it.
- Engine: Overlanding trips can be hard on your Jeep, so opt for an engine that’s durable and offers higher horsepower to get you through hilly terrain without tipping.
- Larger tires: The larger the tire, the better the grip to handle any off-road situation your Jeep encounters. Look for deeper treads that can spin out mud easily, too.
- Rock sliders: Not only do these protect your Jeep from damage, but they’ll also literally help you “slide” off of terrain that you generally may get stuck on.
- Snorkels: These aren’t just for wet conditions. Snorkels help your Jeep get cold, fresh air from higher levels as you trek through muddy paths.
- Winches: If you’re an avid off-roader, you’ll already have a winch on your Jeep — this is an invaluable tool for getting your vehicle “unstuck”.
- Suspension lifts: The higher your Jeep, the more clearance it has to avoid tricky spots and heavy damage during rock climbing.
Other considerations include fuel economy and the reliability of your axles. You won’t have repair shops or gas stations when you’re Overlanding off-road. Plan your trips accordingly to optimize fuel use and have a qualified Jeep mechanic check your suspension before you go off-grid.
What Other Overlandng Gear Do I Need?
Once your Jeep is properly modded out, you’ll need to stock up on supplies based on where you’re going and how long you’re staying out.
- Lodging: While you may think about sleeping in your Jeep, that’s prime real estate for hauling cargo. Opt for a high-quality bed or roof-mounted tent that’s easy to set up and break down.
- Food: With a refrigerator that runs off of the vehicle’s power and a camp stove, along with storage for the food you need, you’ll eat well for days.
- Tools: There’s a good chance that things will break out there, and it’s important to have the tools you need to fix just about anything.
- Portable generator: Even if your Jeep has enough power to handle the mods, there could be a time when you need a little extra help out in the middle of nowhere.
Other gear you should have on hand includes a first aid kit, air mattresses, water containers, and GPS devices. While this is by no means a comprehensive list, it’s a great starting point. Remember to adjust accordingly based on where you’re headed and how long you plan to take your Jeep out Overlanding.
Ready to explore the world of Overlanding with your Jeep? Not all mechanics are experts in the upgrades it takes to get your vehicle ready. At Axleboy, we want every client to get the best customizations for their vehicle. We’re not your average shop. Instead of selling you anything and everything, we’ll make sure you only get upgrades that are truly important to you. Get in touch with our team today!